Creamy Tortilla Soup
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 bay leave
- 8 cups water
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (plus about 2 tsp sauce or to taste)
- 1/3 cup cashews soaked and rinsed
- 1/3 cup plant milk
- 1 cup roasted corn (see notes)
- Set Instant Pot to sauté. Add onion and cook 2 minutes then add bell pepper and garlic and turn off Instant pot. (Keep a splash of water near by for sticking)
- Add all but last 4 ingredients to instant pot and give a stir.
- Put instant pot on manual 5 minutes and set release button to sealing.
- Meanwhile place cashews, plant milk and chipotle peppers and sauce in mini blender and blend until smooth, set aside.
- Heat to high a non stick pan or wok.
- When hot add thawed (or fresh) corn and let it sit on the hot pan approx. 2 minutes.
- Put on a plate to cool. When soup is done let the steam out and turn pot off then add the cashew cream mixture.
- If soup not thick enough make a slurry of 2:1 water and corn or potato starch.
- Salt to taste *low fat (and low salt if you please) tortilla chips to garnish or freshly baked (to crisp) corn tortillas, green onions or cilantro.
I started out several years ago watching Forks Over Knives, decided to “try out” the plant-based meal plan and had shockingly incredible results. I’ve never turned back. I have lost nearly 50 pounds, and that is just one side effect that me, my family, friends and clients have experienced after making the change.
Having been an incredible cook my entire adult life, I started my own personal chef service, NuYu Nourish, to extend my help to others. I interned under a celebrity chef, became a celebrity chef myself and have been expanding my reach and goals ever since! My plan follows strictly and simply those of Dr. Mcdougall, Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Esselstyn.