Creamy Tortilla Soup
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 bay leave
- 8 cups water
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (plus about 2 tsp sauce or to taste)
- 1/3 cup cashews soaked and rinsed
- 1/3 cup plant milk
- 1 cup roasted corn (see notes)
- Set Instant Pot to sauté. Add onion and cook 2 minutes then add bell pepper and garlic and turn off Instant pot. (Keep a splash of water near by for sticking)
- Add all but last 4 ingredients to instant pot and give a stir.
- Put instant pot on manual 5 minutes and set release button to sealing.
- Meanwhile place cashews, plant milk and chipotle peppers and sauce in mini blender and blend until smooth, set aside.
- Heat to high a non stick pan or wok.
- When hot add thawed (or fresh) corn and let it sit on the hot pan approx. 2 minutes.
- Put on a plate to cool. When soup is done let the steam out and turn pot off then add the cashew cream mixture.
- If soup not thick enough make a slurry of 2:1 water and corn or potato starch.
- Salt to taste *low fat (and low salt if you please) tortilla chips to garnish or freshly baked (to crisp) corn tortillas, green onions or cilantro.