I created this recipe as one day I was craving stuffed cabbage. This is a Polish dish (and possible other regions of Eastern Europe). I grew up eating these stuffed “piggies”, as we called them, with mashed potatoes and sometimes mustard or horseradish.
Obviously I had to create this WITHOUT the pork, beef or veal Mother traditionally used. Hence, we have lentils! I included a leaf of kale in the photo to remind us how this was once a garnish on many dishes in restaurants only to be discarded. I wanted to share with you that finely (or not finely) chopped up kale is wonderful in many soups. I enjoy it in my Dal recipe as well as my Lasagna Soup. It is a great way to get greens in.
Instant Pot Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 Medium Cabbage chopped in large pieces
- 1 Small White onion diced
- 4 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Small Shallot diced
- 1/2 Cup Rice rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Brown or green lentils rinsed
- 1 Large Can Tomato purée (28 oz.)
- 4 T Tamari sauce
- 6 cups water
- 1 T Basil
- 1 T Oregano
- 1 tsp Thyme
- Place instant pot on sauté and sauté the onion for about 2 minutes, then shallot was and lastly garlic for about 30 seconds each or until fragrant, keeping some water nearby so it doesn’t stick and splash a tablespoon or so as you go.
- Add in water, tomatoes, herbs, tamari, rice, lentils and cabbage.
- Give a good stir.
- Place lid and seal instant pot.
- Time for 7 minutes, carefully release steam, add salt to taste and and pepper adjust other flavours.
- If you want a more onion or garlic flavor at this stage use powder.
I started out several years ago watching Forks Over Knives, decided to “try out” the plant-based meal plan and had shockingly incredible results. I’ve never turned back. I have lost nearly 50 pounds, and that is just one side effect that me, my family, friends and clients have experienced after making the change.
Having been an incredible cook my entire adult life, I started my own personal chef service, NuYu Nourish, to extend my help to others. I interned under a celebrity chef, became a celebrity chef myself and have been expanding my reach and goals ever since! My plan follows strictly and simply those of Dr. Mcdougall, Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Esselstyn.