I created this recipe as one day I was craving stuffed cabbage. This is a Polish dish (and possible other regions of Eastern Europe). I grew up eating these stuffed “piggies”, as we called them, with mashed potatoes and sometimes mustard or horseradish.
Obviously I had to create this WITHOUT the pork, beef or veal Mother traditionally used. Hence, we have lentils! I included a leaf of kale in the photo to remind us how this was once a garnish on many dishes in restaurants only to be discarded. I wanted to share with you that finely (or not finely) chopped up kale is wonderful in many soups. I enjoy it in my Dal recipe as well as my Lasagna Soup. It is a great way to get greens in.
Instant Pot Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 Medium Cabbage chopped in large pieces
- 1 Small White onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Small Shallot diced
- 1/2 Cup Rice rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Brown or green lentils rinsed
- 1 Large Can Tomato purée
- 4 T Tamari sauce
- 6 cups water
- 1 T Basil
- 1 T Oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- Place instant pot on sauté and sauté the onion for about 2 minutes, then shallot was and lastly garlic for about 30 seconds each or until fragrant, keeping some cold water nearby so it doesn’t stick and splash a tablespoon or so as you go.
- Add in water, tomatoes, herbs, tamari, rinsed rice and rinsed lentils.
- Give a good stir.
- Place lid and seal instant pot.
- Time for 7 minutes, carefully release steam, add salt to taste and and pepper adjust other flavours.
- If you want a more onion or garlic flavor at this stage use powder.