Creamy Thanksgiving Veggie Soup
- 1 white onion
- 1 leek or shallot
- 1 celery stalk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 carrots
- 1 zucchini
- 6 potatoes (red or yellow)
- 1/3 cup packed fresh sage if you can’t find this and choose to use dry sage go with a half a tablespoon to start
- 1/2 cup raw cashews can be omitted
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 T tahini optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- garnish with parsley or chives
- Peal veggies if you choose. Be sure to scrub them all well. Yes, you don’t really have to scrape or peel if you don’t want to.
- Chop all veggies approximately the same size. But don’t worry too much as this gets all cooked through and blended in the end.
- Place onion, celery, shallot and carrot in pot and sauté about 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds. (Keep a cup of water nearby for sticking issues and splash a bit in carefully when needed).
- Add sage, potatoes, cashews and water in the pot and give a good stir. The water should just cover the veggies.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. DO NOT drain.
- Add the tahini and the nutritional yeast.
- Adjust salt and seasonings. Blend in batches in a blender/Ninja.
- If not using a Ninja or Vitamix but using an older version blender let the soup cool off a bit before blending as the steam/heat will not keep the lid tight.
instant Pot Instructions:
- Saute onion, shallot, celery and carrot for 2 minutes add garlic and sage for 1 more minute. (Keep some water nearby to prevent sticking).
- Place the potatoes, cashews and water into pot.
- Seal the lid and cook for 10 minutes manual. Once done release the steam carefully and follow the directions above for blending.
- Realize the veggie combinations are endless. Sometimes I add in a red bell pepper or even mushrooms.
- I like to garnish with parsley or chives, serve and enjoy!
I started out several years ago watching Forks Over Knives, decided to “try out” the plant-based meal plan and had shockingly incredible results. I’ve never turned back. I have lost nearly 50 pounds, and that is just one side effect that me, my family, friends and clients have experienced after making the change.
Having been an incredible cook my entire adult life, I started my own personal chef service, NuYu Nourish, to extend my help to others. I interned under a celebrity chef, became a celebrity chef myself and have been expanding my reach and goals ever since! My plan follows strictly and simply those of Dr. Mcdougall, Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Esselstyn.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter for our latest recipes
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.